map of South Tyrol
Favourite Parish Church Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen 8dea65fb0986dac1e60ebc7642437824
Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen
Churches, chapels, religious centres
Praish Church Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen
Via Centro/Dorf 8
39050 Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen (Italy)
Tel.: +39 0471 619500
E-Mail: info@eggental.com
Homepage: https://eggental.com
  Roter Hahn email Parish Church Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen (8dea65fb0986dac1e60ebc7642437824)
  Roter Hahn homepage Parish Church Nova Ponente/Deutschnofen (8dea65fb0986dac1e60ebc7642437824)
Open
Free entrance
Opening times
All-season
08:00 - 18:00
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
Timetable for the mass (Saturdays: only every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month)
All-season
07:00 - 08:00
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
10:00 - 11:00
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
19:30 - 20:30
Mon
Tue
Wed
Thu
Fri
Sat
Sun
Fully accessible from the entrance of the graveyard beneath the Gibitzplatz/Piazza Gibitz Square.

The parish church of Nova Ponente, a Gothic building dating from the 15th century, has an impressively beautiful sandstone cladding. The inscription in the choir vault gives its date of origin: the cornerstone was laid on 5 July 1455 by Pastor Johannes Steel. Below the inscription is the coat of arms of the Diocese of Trento with the eagle, along with that of the then Bishop Georg Hack with its thin branch, also chosen as the heraldic symbol of the municipality of Nova Ponente.

The building was completed in sections, as suggested by the differences in the foundations and the sandstone cladding. Construction work was not completed until 1498, with the church consecrated on 16 September of the same year. In order to imagine it in its pure and original form, the new sacristy at the northeast corner and the organ loft with its outside staircase must be ignored. The interior of the church was vastly improved by the most recent renovation in the summer of 1975. The two neo-Gothic altars date from 1900, with a new organ installed in 1976.

Of particular note in the church are the four old relief panels on the high altar, showing the Nativity, the Adoration of the Magi, the Presentation at the Temple and the Death of the Virgin. The panels are from a famous large triptych, created around 1420 by the Master Hans von Judenburg for Bolzano’s Parish Church, as was the group of the Visitation on the wall of the choir. The main figures on the high altar – Our Lady of the Rosary and the church’s two patron saints - are beautiful works by the Innsbruck sculptor Dominikus Trenkwalder from around 1900. The relief figures of St. Barbara and St. Catherine as well as the relief panel of the Visitation, also on the choir walls, date back to around 1500. The sandstone pulpit from the early 16th century is held by Karl Atz in his “History of Art from Tyrol and Vorarlberg” to be one of the most beautiful of its kind in the entire land.

Old relief medallions of the mysteries of the rosary are inserted into the neo-Gothic rosary altar; the altarpiece was created by Franz Unterberger. Franz Haider’s beautiful nativity figures can be seen at Christmastime on this altar: his figurines and statues of saints are to be found throughout the Reggelberg area and he was a long-time resident of Monte San Pietro. The bell tower is for the most part much older than the present-day church. It dates back to the Romanesque era; inside can clearly be seen two rows of coupled arched windows that were later walled up. The tower formerly belonged to the old parish church of St. Benedict, documented as early as 1265. Today’s cupola was added in 1793 after lightning badly damaged both the tower and the church roof.

Another special feature of the church is that the pews have brass plaques, some with a rune-like mark next to the occupant’s name. These are the old house and farm marks of Nova Ponente. Each farm would use its mark to identify tools, grain sacks, logs and the like that were offered for sale. Many such marks can also be seen painted with red ochre on the outer walls of the church, now faded on account of the wind and rain. The impressive war memorial (1967) on the northern wall of the cemetery is by the South Tyrolean sculptor Martin Rainer, who was in 1976 awarded the Walther von der Vogelweide prize.

Getting to the parish church by public transport is easy and convenient.

By public bus line:
- 181 from Bozen | Bolzano
- 180 and change 181 from Karersee | Lago di Carezza, Karerpass | Passo Costalunga, Welschnofen | Nova Levante
- 184 or 181 from Deutschnofen | Ponte Nova, Stenk
- 184 from Eggen | Ega, Obereggen
- 181 or 184 from Weissenstein | Pietralba, Petersberg | Monte San Pietro
- 182 and change 181 from Steinegg | Collepietra, Gummer | San Valentino
- 180 and change 181 from Val di Fassa

Bus stop: Deutschnofen, Kirche | Nova Ponente, Chiesa; online timetable search at www.suedtirolmobil.info/en/
Location: Parish church of Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente (https://goo.gl/maps/qVDz711bMKop4UuMA)

By car:
Destination: Parish church of Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente
Parking: Parking lot Gibitz Square
Location: Parish church of Deutschnofen/Nova Ponente (https://goo.gl/maps/qVDz711bMKop4UuMA)

Pursuant to 2009/136/EU guidelines, we inform you that this website uses its own technical cookies and third party cookies to provide you with an efficient navigation experience and unimpaired use of the website functions.
More information about cookies Accept cookies