The vast ruined fortress of Mayenburg stands on land that shows evidence of prehistoric settlement on a long hilly ridge in Foiana. It was built by the Counts of Eppan and is first mentioned in the records in 1241. In 1650 Count Veit Benno Brandis took over the castle and extended it considerably.
In 1922 the ruins were acquired and renovated by a family of physicians, the Auffingers. The imposing, closed complex still features sparse remnants of murals dating from the 15th and 16th centuries. The strong keep and round dovecote tower above the castle well are worthy of note.